RAP was created thought the joint efforts of many people, with a special
thanks to Dave Bartling at the Emergency Health Services Federation,
in New Cumberland, PA. and Bonnie Wolgemuth, Heidelberg Township.
A person who occasionally rides along with the ambulance crew for
observation purposes only.
- Activities are limited to observing the activities of the EMS department.
RAP participants may or may not engage in patient care, but may assist
EMS crew in other duties according to individual qualifications.
- Activities will be performed under the direction and/or supervision
of qualified EMS staff and are limited to degree of qualification
of RAP volunteer.
- Confidentiality statement must be signed prior to being admitted
- A desire to learn about the EMS department and to assist accomplishing
tasks as assigned.
- Current member with Schaefferstown Fire Company
- If 16-17 years old and still in high school, a limit of 4 hours
of duty time per day. RAP participants may not go out after midnight
on school nights and after 1:00AM on weekends. There are no restrictions
during summer months.
- Employment certificate and any other required legal document.
- PA or Federal law supercede all above.
Prior to participation, the RAP coordinator or his designee must schedule
all RAP participation with the Unit.
- The participant will have the opportunity to participate in actual
- The participant will work in close cooperation with qualified EMS
providers to gain valuable fieldwork.
- The following must be completed prior to participating:
Upon completion, all documents must be presented to SEMS's designated
RAP coordinator or their designee.
All personal background investigations, if necessary will be conducted
by the Heidelberg Township (Lebanon County) Police Department to include
the applicant's criminal record, driving record and polygraph, if
The applicant will go thru the usual SEMS membership process
according to SEMS By-Laws
The Applicant will be notified in writing as to whether they were
accepted or rejected for RAP
The new RAP member will be issued all standard SEMS uniforms and
equipment along with an alerting (paging) device, if available. The
participant will be required to sign a Liability/Confidentially form.
- Application for Program
- All legal documents, including Employment Certificate
- Authority for Release of Information & Records form
All original records will be maintained in a personnel file with
RAP members will be given access to the SEMS computer and Palm
Pilot for the benefit of learning the automated trip sheet process.
Like all other SEMS equipment, they may not use this equipment for personal
RAP members are expected to dress in clothing appropriate to the
department and to dress sufficiently to protect from injury. RAP members
will be expected to wear issued clothing when appropriate.
Code of Conduct:
All personnel shall behave in a courteous, professional manner at
all times while representing SEMS, and more importantly, themselves.
Actions contrary to this standard will result in termination from
Any act resulting in termination will be issued in a written letter
for the RAP coordinator or their designee after approval from SEMS.
A RAP member wishing to leave the program is required to document
this desire in writing and submit to the RAP coordinator or their
Upon termination of the RAP member, all equipment issued to the
member shall be returned to the RAP coordinator, their designee or
ten (10) business days.